[Dxspider-support] Running DX Spider on a Raspberry PI 4 USB SSD Drive

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Mon Dec 30 02:35:55 CET 2019

   Well I am sure some wouldn't agree, and I will admit that I haven't
used a Pi4 to run a cluster node, as I have my cluster on a real
rackmount server.   That said I have built dozens of Pi4's to put out in
the field for network testing, so have a few dozen under my hat at this
time.

  What I have done as far as storage is to use the built in MicroSD
slot, as it just boots, but I have been using the Samsung Pro Endurance
cards to buid the Pi's, and this is my reasoning behind this choice.
If you look they can take a lot more writes before they fail than the
typical card, as they are designed for video recording.   Also when you
look at the Pro or EVO models, they have fast reads, but in moments the
writes throttle back.   With the Pro Endurance they will sustain an 80mb
read rate, but unlike most cards they will sustain a 30mb write rate
pretty much non-stop, as I write out images to the cards to start out
each new one ready to run, so kick it 64gb to start.   This has worked
fantastic for me on about a dozen Pi4's so far, and yes you can do other
things that will run even faster, but for simple and reliable which I
need at remote locations, it just works!

  Also if your setting up a Pi4, make sure that you load the firmware
updater for Raspbian (debian) that will update your firmware if it's
behind, as it will make your pi4 run cooler, and be less likely to
throttle, which is always a good thing..

73's de WB3FFV...

---
Howard Leadmon - howard at leadmon.net
PBW Communications, LLC