[Dxspider-support] Help request - unable to save user settings

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 09:57:42 CEST 2019

The DXSQL fix is for those Storeable crashes, particularly on 10Ghz
beacons (for a very few people).

I am really struggling to understand what is going wrong for you (and
AFAIK nobody else) generating those user_asc files. As it's now Tuesday,
it would be interesting to see how big your users.v3 is right now and
then look again on Wednesday morning.

The underlying mechanism is pretty straightforward and does not do
anything remotely unorthodox, it just reads from the first record in the
file to the last - and while that is going on everything else is locked
out - all other node activity is stopped for the 10-15 seconds that it
takes. But the underlying storage mechanism is DB_File a.k.a Berkeley DB
which is known for being _very_ finicky about things like multiple
writers and closing programs without first properly closing database
file handles. But that can't happen in this case (or even after "normal"
Storable crashes). Having said that, if you do have a Storable crash
(and continue to do so after the dxqsl fix is in) then it is nonetheless
prudent to restore the two DB_File backed files (using create_qsl.pl and
perl user_asc) as well as removing the dupefile.

Dirk G1TLH