[Dxspider-support] Latest source of utter frustration

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Apr 14 11:46:44 CEST 2020

Firstly

SIGXCPU
The SIGXCPU signal is sent to a process when it has used up the CPU for
a duration that exceeds a certain predetermined user-settable value.[16]
The arrival of a SIGXCPU signal provides the receiving process a chance
to quickly save any intermediate results and to exit gracefully, before
it is terminated by the operating system using the SIGKILL signal.

[16] refers to the information on getrlimit and setrlimit. Reading the
manual says:

RLIMIT_CPU
This is the maximum amount of CPU time, in seconds, used by a process.
If this limit is exceeded, SIGXCPU shall be generated for the process.
If the process is catching or ignoring SIGXCPU, or all threads belonging
to that process are blocking SIGXCPU, the behavior is unspecified.

This parameter can be altered. But I am wondering whether you are
hitting the limits of the vCPU that is set in the machine running this VM?

Also there is a default limit on the number of sockets a process may
have of 1024. Now, in the old days (and on Windows boxes with default
limits of 64 (!)), it would just refuse to accept new ones. It (now)
*may* be that this causes this signal. In any case you should increase
the maximum no of sockets the process will take. Do a "ulimit -n" and
you see the default is still 1024. You will need to increase the limit.

You should probably also consider this StackOverflow answer:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/410616/increasing-the-maximum-number-of-tcp-ip-connections-in-linux

Dirk