[Dxspider-support] RBN Busted Skimmer Spots

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 10 09:59:24 CEST 2020

Not to rain on anyone's parade but ... the RBN calls their spot streams "raw".  Their spots contain bad calls and frequencies and little is done to remove them.  The RBN depends on the clusters to do this.  I have seen no mention of how this is being done in the new software.

There are about 150+ CW Skimmers.   Each CW Skimmer is about 99% or so accurate for calls.   These skimmers do not all bust the calls the same way.  So what you end up with is a much higher error rate of bad to good calls.  When working a contest the longer one stays on a band and works stations, the higher the percentage of busted calls there is in the band map.  Stay on a band long enough and the band map has more busted calls than good ones.  I currently see EV73NS, OE7NS, V73N, VE3NS, V73NI, V73T, V73NA, V73NN and V73NS spotted on the same frequency.  Only one of those calls is right.

CW and RTTY are bad for being busted.  Not so for FT4/FT8, but it still happens.  Sometimes grid squares get mistaken for call signs.  I see spots for JN87FI in the last few minutes.  Frequently SP5xxx calls get shortened to P5xxx.  That usually creates a big pile up.

Lee VE7CC