[Dxspider-support] The RBN interface is here...

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 22:22:37 CEST 2020

On 10/07/2020 20:52, Rene Olsen wrote:
> Thanks Dirk.
>
> Thanks for the info. I will not touch it now since there is the contest this weekend, and I will
> not be home to monitor what happens.
>
> Will this new RBN data increase the bw used by the node significantly? If we are talking 100
> spots a second, like someone mentioned, I am not sure it is for me, since I have limited bw
> useage.
>
> Vy 73 de René / OZ1LQH

That is the $64,000 question. If you stick to CW spots, so far, I have
seen about ~10/sec during the last big contest. We will see what this
weekend brings for a more definite answer. I would be quite surprised to
see 100 spots/sec or 8200 bytes/sec. But remember, the most you are
likely see coming out is ~820 bytes / sec / RBN Spot user and. even on
the last big CW contest the actual "curated" output was 1 or 2 / sec,
but not consistently. 30000 incoming spots / hour would be whittled down
to about 3000/hour or about 8 every 10 seconds.

I am waiting with bated breath how WA9PIE-2 copes with 1000+ users.
Human spots is no problem at all, it trundles along at about 2-7% CPU on
a big contest.  But it is unlikely that (anything like) that many of
them will using the RBN feed - at least this weekend. But we will see.
1000 * 820 is how many bytes/sec again...?

But I would strongly recommend that you upgrade, just for the improved
speed and reduced power consumption. Whether you connect to the RBN is a
separate issue. The 'mojo' branch is where it is all at. The 'master'
branch is now just in care and maintenance. All new features will go
into the 'mojo' branch (there is a clue as to what it is in UPGRADE.mojo),

73 Dirk G1TLH