[Dxspider-support] Migrate DXspider to other VM (PS)

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 17:20:54 CEST 2020

PS I should have added:

Although, now in the distant past, the underlying Berkeley DB was rather
flaky - it seems that it now takes version upgrades well and I have not
had a problem here for quite a while. Having said that, if the users.v3
file is really old (or maybe generated on an other architecture), then
the current BDB would refuse to read it. I think this was version 2 of
BDB and below, we are now on version 9. so I don't suppose there are
many of these installations left. However, of late, I have been getting
a number of reports about issues with the Storable module (a standard
part of perl) and had some trouble myself with it. That seems to be the
more likely failure mode.

But, happily 99.8% of upgrades of this sort go smoothly. But I try to
provide "easy to use" alternatives for 0.2%.

One of the goals I have with the 'mojo' branch was to remove the
Storable module and replace it with something else. This has now been
done and we are now using JSON as the serialiser for the users and
(dx)qsl files. And it works 2.5 times faster too!

73 Dirk G1TLH