[Dxspider-support] user_default script

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 22:40:02 CEST 2020

On 13/07/2020 19:05, rin JG1VGX via Dxspider-support wrote:
> Dirk-san,
>
> I have a modest request.
>
> Perhaps after the "sh/dx" rewrite, "sh/dx" part in user_default script
> as in the example "user_default.issue" won't work like before.
>
> The default "user_default.issue" script results in sh/dx spots shown
> AFTER every initial login messages.
>
> I have noticed the subtle difference that, before the rewrite (or in
> 1.55), there will be a user prompt shown immediately after each sh/dx
> request is returned, but not so in the current versions.
>
> I have tried inserting something like "echo" or "blank" in the script
> hoping to flush out the buffer without success. I even looked at the
> code (DTTAH ;) and suspected if the array @out is something to do with
> this, but couldn't figure out how to make my own fix and stopped
> there, wisely ;)
>
> If only a quick fix is needed I would very much appreciate it, but if
> another big rewrite is needed it's ok to leave it for now.
>
> My new RBN mojo version was very stable over the last weekend and
> surprisingly low resource was used. Thank you so much!!

Yes, I agree there is an issue here, but it is (at least for now) a
feature. This is happens for any command that *could* be long running,
which used to stop the node "dead" until it had finished (e.g. sh/dx
g3yla). This mainly applies to the 'show' commands that interrogate
files (sh/dx, sh/log sh/ann etc etc). They are now spawned off into
separate processes and return data when they are finished. Whereas
'echo' and 'blank' happen immediately. In the meantime, the main node
continues to process protocol and user requests without pause.

I will provide a mechanism to do this, but it won't be for a while yet
as it is quite complicated to achieve (safely) at the moment.

73 Dirk G1TLH