[Dxspider-support] DXspider and WinSock

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 14:13:52 CEST 2020

The "master" branch of DXSpider does not, as such, need any other
program to run in Windows. It just works (it has to be said: rather to
my surprise) which is a testament to the "power of perl".

Comments about the maximum number of users on a Windows instance were
certainly true 10 years ago (or earlier) using ActiveState perl. It
happened because 64 is the default number of (file, socket?) handles
that are declared when one includes the appropriate socket / networking
"header" file in one' s program. It can be simply overridden by
#defining a larger value for that number before #including that header
file. I put in a bug report to the Perl maintainers asking them to do
so. I am unaware of whether they did or not. Strawberry Perl is,
apparently, more up to date and "modern". Whether this makes any
difference to the 64 socket limit, someone will have to find out.

In any case, you should be able to run DXSpider on Windows - as is - and
get up to IIRC 62 users/nodes on there. Once you have hit that limit -
if it still exists - then we need to regroup and I probably ought to
poke the Perl maintainers again. A better alternative, which I am glad
to see more and more people are doing, is to use a cheap (or repurposed
old) computer and running a form of linux/BSD on it, where these
problems go away or at least they don't appear until the node approaches
1024 users.

DXSpider was never "designed" to run on Windows. The fact that it does
(if it still does) is a happy accident. It is not actively supported -
but I will happily accept fixes (and have done). The AGW (which will
talk to a remote, as well a local, Windows PC running AGW) and BPQ
interfaces are examples of this. I do not run Windows except when I need
to do something that requires it - and then only in a VM.

73 Dirk G1TLH

PS AFAIK no-one has tried the "mojo" branch on Windows and I have reason
to suspect it may not work very well or even at all.