[Dxspider-support] Windows to Ubuntu Linux

Steve - AA4U aa4u at mchsi.com
Mon Jun 29 21:00:12 CEST 2020

Kin, Yes, please send me the script. I can try it with Ubuntu 20. If it doesn't work, I can reload to Ubuntu 18. Will advise once successful. Many thanks. 73, Steve - AA4USent via Samsung Galaxy S9+ on Verizon
-------- Original message --------From: "Joaquin . via Dxspider-support" <dxspider-support at tobit.co.uk> Date: 6/29/20  09:22  (GMT-06:00) To: The DXSpider Support list <dxspider-support at tobit.co.uk> Cc: "Joaquin ." <joaquin at cronux.net> Subject: Re: [Dxspider-support] Windows to Ubuntu Linux Hi Steve,I haven't used the 20.04 version but the previous one of Ubuntu. I can pass you a script that executed as root will do the installation and will allow you to configure it. I repeat, I have not used it with this version but with 18 and with Debian it has never given me problems.The script was developed by Yiannis SV5FRI (great job!) and I have adapted it to the new changes.If you are interested, tell me and I will send it to you. My email is ea3cv at cronux.net.73 de Kin EA3CVEl lun., 29 jun. 2020 a las 15:57, Steve Carroll - AA4U via Dxspider-support (<dxspider-support at tobit.co.uk>) escribió:

    I've been running DX Spider on a Windows platform for almost 20
      years. Now that I have extra time (due to COVID-19), I'd like to
      try installing it on the latest Ubuntu 20.04 LTS version. First, I
      need a "Ubuntu for Dummies" book since I know nothing... but plan
      on finally digging into it. Back in 2011, there were some install
      steps for Ubuntu 11.04 posted and I'm curious if those still
      apply? (listed below). If there are changes, please let me know.
      Thanks.
    73, Steve - AA4U

    Ubuntu Installation

    sudo apt-get install git-core

    sudo apt-get install libcurses-perl

    sudo apt-get install libnet-telnet-perl

    sudo adduser --home /spider sysop (Will ask for password and some
    other questions)

    su - sysop (enter password)
    rm -rf *
    rm .*

    cd ..

    git clone git://scm.dxcluster.org/scm/spider

    cd

    mkdir local

    mkdir local_cmd
    cp perl/Listeners.pm local/Listeners.pm
    cp perl/DXVars.pm.issue local/DXVars.pm

    cd local
    nano -w Listeners.pm
    (Remove "#" symbol for incoming telnet). Ctrl-X to save file.
    nano -w DXVars.pm

    (Edit settings $mycall, $myname, $myalias). Ctrl-X to save file.

    cd ../perl

    ./create_sysop.pl

    ./cluster.pl

    Cluster ($mycall) is now operational.

      Open another terminal session.
    su - sysop
    cd perl

    ./console.pl

    You are now connected to your cluster as ($myalias).