[Dxspider-support] File Moves going to Mojo..

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 21:45:40 GMT 2021

On 03/12/2021 17:35, Howard Leadmon via Dxspider-support wrote:

>    With Dirk saying that he was now ready to switch to Mojo being the
> main branch, I decided it was time to get off my backside and setup a
> new server for DXspider.
Hurrah! Please encourage all your friends to do the same.

>  Overall the conversion went fairly easy, and I have the new Mojo node
> running and connected back to the original mode, I did want to check
> on one thing.  I know from this list, that local_data needed to
> created, and I know that my motd (and motd_nor) needed to be moved
> over to the this directory.

I'm glad that it is very easy to do [ed: I may have exaggerated that a
tad]. There are some setup things that happen on first run of the mojo
version. It appears that motd et al are not moved with the other things.
That is changed on the next release. It will move the issue and motd
file across to local_data automagically.

>  What I am curious about is, did I need to move any other files across
> to local_data?   Do items like the city files need moved, and scripts
> updated vs the old spider version?
See above.

> At the moment in local_data I see:
>
> $ ls local_data
> badword      debug     dxqsl.v1j  motd      rbn_cache  usdb.v1
> users.v3j  wwv
> cluster.lck  dupefile  log        motd_nor  spots      user_json wcy
>

> Before I take this public in place of the old version, I for sure want
> to make sure everything is working OK, as I know a bunch of people use
> it while contesting, so I strive for 100% uptime.
>
> /If any see this, and care to test this sucker out, it's always
> appreciated.   It can be reached at //*dxtest.wb3ffv.us*//on //*port
> 7300*//over both IPv4 and IPv6./
>
>  Dirk, if you see this, and recommendations on CPU and memory for a VM
> running Spider.  As I built this in a VM, I have it running current
> Ubuntu, with 4x VCPU's and 8G of memory, and it seems quick as heck,
> but then again there is nothing really connected to it..

Well WA9PIE-2 runs in a 1CPU 1GB RAM 25GB Digital Ocean droplet. But
with some recent changes to speed up simple sh/dx (sh/dx, sh/dx 100) in
scripts and bring it back "inline" so, as a result of going through two
CQWW contests, I would recommend a tad more RAM (say 2GB) to handle
forking cmds (sh/dx g1tlh). 2CPUs is a nice to have, but WA9PIE seems to
run 1200 users in CQWW SSB at about 15-20% CPU usage. But then the users
don't do much except listen and ask for headings.

I would suggest what you have there is (as Rolls Royce famously said
when asked how much power the engine produced) adequate :-)

I suspect a 2GB RPi4 with a 250TB SSD in a USB3 attached UASP capable
caddy will run WA9PIE's load just fine.