[Dxspider-support] Failure to download the latest CTY.DAT

Martin Davies G0HDB marting0hdb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 14:22:07 GMT 2021

Hello all, I'm having trouble updating the CTY.DAT and WPXLOC.RAW files on my
GB7DXC-5 DXSpider node, running on a Model B Raspberry Pi (still running Raspbian
wheezy), to the latest release (CTY-3126 of 29th Oct).

In the past I've always used the following commands to 'pull down' the latest versions of the
two files:

wget https://www.country-files.com/cty/cty.dat

and

wget https://www.country-files.com/cty/wpxloc.raw

To date this has always worked without any problems but now when I use the commands,
even as sudo, I get a "Connecting to www.country-files.com (...) ... connected" message
followed by an error message:

"GnuTLS:  A TLS fatal alert has been received
Unable to establish SSL connection"

I've tried updating wget, to no avail - the latest version is already installed on my system.

Anyone got any idea what might be causing the error, and how to get round it?

73
--
Martin G0HDB (sysop of GB7DXC-5)