[Dxspider-support] CQWW Self Spotting - spoofing

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 2 22:21:42 GMT 2021

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Lee Sawkins <ve7cc at shaw.ca>
To: CC-Cluster <CC-Cluster at groups.io>
Sent: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 16:13:33 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Abuse of Cluster during CQ WW SSB.

As some of you may be aware there were many spoofed spots during the contest.  At first it appeared that a few contesters were sending out self spots.  This got these contesters concerned and they claimed they were not risking disqualification by doing so.  There are postings on the CQ Contest reflector.

After analyzing my cluster's log I found the following.

30 Oct total spoofed spots 866 out of 50140 non skimmer spots.
31 Oct total spoofed spots 1956 out of 51741 non skimmer spots.
Total 2822 spoofed spots from IP 217.61.58.23 over weekend.  Most not self spots but still spoofed.
Handful of spoofed spots on 28 and 29 Oct.  Appears spoofer was testing program.

These spoofed spots are only the ones that I identify with IP 217.61.58.23.
These spots were entered on both DX Spider and CC Cluster nodes.  There could be more from AR Cluster or Spider nodes running software that doesn't include IP addresses.

http://bcdxc.org/ve7cc/30-Oct-2021.zip
http://bcdxc.org/ve7cc/31-Oct-2021.zip

Lee VE7CC