[Dxspider-support] Auto update of DX-spider??

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 12:25:56 GMT 2021

It's not a daft question...

I suspect it would help many people if I was more consistent about
announcing new versions. I gave up on this many years ago, as only a
very small proportion of sysops ever took any notice. To those that do:
thank you.

And I am in the process of doing more development at the moment, so it
might be worth sysops keeping a weather eye on the repo for the next
couple of weeks.

See remarks below:

73 Dirk G1TLH

On 19/11/2021 09:28, gu6efb--- via Dxspider-support wrote:

> Hi Brian
>
> These are the entries that I have in my spider crontab and it works for me
>
> # AutoUpdate DXSpider Server
>
> 0 1 * * * spawn("cd /spider; git reset --hard; git pull")

Whilst this will do an update, it doesn't actually cause the running
image to change. To do that you will need to restart it. Of course, if I
make an incompatible change, the software may crash and restart
automatically :-) I'm not certain how to fix this in a way that only
restarts if a new version is available. It's further complicated by the
fact that if the only changes are in commands (/spider/cmd/*) then no
restart is required - as these are picked up automagically.

Also, much as I would like sysops to keep up with the bleeding edge that
is mojo (or these days, more like oozing intermittently and gently), I
would suggest that once a week, in the middle of the night and on a week
day, and not Wednesday morning ('cos something important happens then)
this might be better:

16 4 * * 1 spawn("cd /spider; git reset --hard; git pull")
20 4 * * 1 run_cmd('shutdown')

PLEASE don't all copy'n'paste this, choose your own day (1,2,4,5) and
own time (not 4:16 as shown) otherwise the whole cluster will all
restart at once. Won't stop it working (not for long anyway), it will
just be rather user hostile (oh wait...).

> #
>
> # AutoUpdate USDB
>
> 0 2 * * 1,3,5 spawn("cd /tmp; wget -qN ftp://ftp.w1nr.net/usdbraw.gz;
> /spider/perl/create_usdb.pl usdbraw.gz")
>
> 5 2 * * 1,3,5 run_cmd("load/usdb")
>
> 10 2 * * 1,3,5 spawn("rm /tmp/usdbraw.gz")
>
> #
>
> # AutoUpdate Keps
>
> 0 2 * * 2,4,6 spawn("cd /tmp; wget -qN
> http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftp/keps/current/nasabare.txt;
> /spider/perl/convkeps.pl -p nasabare.txt")
>
> 5 2 * * 2,4,6 run_cmd("load/keps")
>
> 10 2 * * 2,4,6 spawn("rm /tmp/nasabare.txt")
>
> #
>
> # AutoUpdate CTY.DAT
>
> 0 3 * * 0,2,5 spawn("cd /spider/local_data; wget -qN
> http://www.country-files.com/cty/cty.dat")
>
> 0 3 * * 0,2,5 spawn("cd /spider/local_data; wget -qN
> http://www.country-files.com/cty/wpxloc.dat")

I'm not sure where wpxloc.dat crept in. I have never used it and it
isn't part of the git repository. Please don't download it and/or get
confused.