[Dxspider-support] Managing FT8 massive spots

Davide D'Aliesio davidercx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 10:31:07 BST 2022

Since some days, stuck at home for a broken leg, I took some time to
analyzing the dx spots flow. I'm focusing on those automatically and
repeatedly originated from some FT8 software. I feel pretty annoying to
see dx clusters used like a personal logbook, where *every* single qso
is spotted to dxcluster network; I really don't understand what
usefulness it will give those dx-spots, in such massive way, to other
dxclusters users.

So, for example, if you search and look at those originated, for
example, from WB2BIN, you will see an average of a spot every 3 minutes,
all with identical info formats ("DXCC xxx WAC xxx WAZ xxx"). Same from
others like HS2AQG, F4IRX, AC2PB, LU4DRH... but I seen many others.

So, given that I'm not an FT8 lover - but not even an hater, simply I
don't like it and I don't use it -, maybe I'm unable to see what
usefulness can have those massive spots for other people on dxcluster...
maybe someone can kindly open my "narrow view" on this matter.

Now, my question is: how do you manage this matter on nodes you are
sysoping? Did you set some kind of filtering (badspotter, badword and so
on)? Or email the "compulsive spotter" asking him to stop or, at least,
double-check his softwares? Or, simply don't worry about it, letting
things go ahead without taking any action?

I would like to kindly know your thoughts about. Thanks.

Best 73
Davide, IW0HLG