[Dxspider-support] Network v2.0 - A PROPOSAL FOR DISCUSSION

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 22:06:36 GMT 2022

Most of this is achievable and/or a reasonable idea.

However, there are some things that I won't do, for a variety of reasons:

  * I WILL NOT distribute login information around the network. However
    one does it, it has a number of security risks associated with it.
    It's simply not going to happen. PS Even if it were, it certainly
    wouldn't be MD5 hashes.
  * What I can do (and will implement) is a new PC41 type 6 message
    which will be structured like all the others PC41^6^user
    call^registration node call^user IP address[:IP address...]^H99.
    This will be sent on registration and on the next (configurable) 3
    logins. Additional IP addresses will also cause PC41s to be sent.
    Thereafter they will be sent when a 'forward/opernam' command
    requests it using RCMD, or by the periodic, automatic process that
    (currently) happens for every user that has the node as the homenode
    - and now will happen if they are registered as well. This will
    change to every (configurable) 3 months (as opposed to the current
    12 months). If any user has not logged onto node within the last
    (configurable) 12 months, then registration is cancelled. Nodes will
    also prune out known registered users if they have not seen a PC41
    for a similar period. Anyone not seen in the last 36 months will be
    removed completely (in theory this happens already - but I am
    wondering whether it is actually working).
  * The fact that a user has been registered on another node will be
    noted in the user file, BUT it will *STILL* mean that a user will
    need to register on this node. In other words: a registration on
    another node, that has been notified by PC41, is there to provide
    some confidence that data purporting to come from a known user on a
    known node and known IP address is probably OK. It also improves
    analysis and detection, after the fact, if something bad happens.
  * There has to be some "grit" in the system, so that bots will find it
    difficult to automate registration. I am open to suggestions, but
    forcing the sysop to confirm a registration they have been
    automatically been sent (either as SP or email) to them after a new
    registration request from a user, and the sysop then doing a manual
    'set/register' for that user will certainly slow the bots down :-)
    But I am also happy to consider other, bot unfriendly, suggestions.
  * Suggestions for dealing with existing (long time) users will be
    gratefully received.
  * There will be NO AUTOMATED method of one sysop de-registering a user
    on the rest of the (new) cluster. Period. The whole business of
    deciding who is doing what to whom and then deciding if and at what
    level any sanction happens, is just a can of worms. There are some
    obvious things that happen that we could agree on, but how one goes
    about coordinating actions by independent sysops is difficult to
    impossible make happen.
  * I'm not certain how one deals with the changeover to v2.0, given
    that the majority of spots and anns will still come from v1.0 - and
    this is important - committed DXers really don't care; just so long
    as they see the spots. Maybe add a single letter marker to user
    displayed version of the comment (S for suspicious or D for dubious?).
  * One thing that I have noticed is that several spots/anns lately have
    the same comment sent by different calls. The "duplicates" could be
    intelligently deduplicated just by comment...

My 2 cents worth...

73 Dirk G1TLH