[Dxspider-support] Network v2.0 - A PROPOSAL FOR DISCUSSION

Ian Maude ijmaude at icloud.com
Thu Nov 3 08:15:38 GMT 2022

Hi Dirk et al,

Are we saying then that v2.0 has registration set as standard?  I really feel that this should be the case.  As someone who was there when Dirk implemented it during 9/11 (How many updates did you release that day Dirk?) and has been using it ever since on 2 cluster nodes, it is really no problem once you are on top of it.

A couple of small things I would like to see improved around registration though.  If a user asks for registration, it would be nice to be able to set/reg and get a response if the user is already registered.  That would save having to do stat/user to check every time.  Quite a lot of HRD users in particular think that if they reload their software, then they have to ask for registration again for some reason.

Again with HRD, there is a check box in the cluster options to increment the SSID if a user loses connection and then cannot log back in because the cluster thinks they are still there.  Whilst I understand the reason for this option, it breaks the registration as each SSID is deemed as a separate user for registration.  I wonder if registration could cover all SSID’s or even if this is a good idea?

As for stat/user, it would be nice to see if a user is *not* registered or does not have a password set.  Currently, nothing is shown for either if they are not implemented.  I really am. A ’show me either way’ type of guy (put it down to age).

The issue is of course, how to ‘persuade’ v1.0 nodes to upgrade to v2.0 as some sysops just seem to set up a node because they can and then don’t seem to bother with it as long as it runs.

Just a few thoughts

73 Ian