[Dxspider-support] UTF-8?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 17:51:35 GMT 2022

It's a good question. Well asked.

The short answer is that nothing has changed (that I know about) between
mojo and master. But there are a whole lot of issues. Basically, and I
am sorry to explicit about this, there is a problem with Americans and
Microsoft (not necessarily in that order) and their computer setups. And
that problem is "code pages" and / or "Wide characters". Code Pages are
a kludge from the early IBM computer(ish) era that persists on the
network because Amateurs like to use old hardware and keep them going.
Microsoft has the problem that it thinks it creates standards and can't
be bothered to fall in line until it's good and ready. So if one is
using Windows 7+ and you have selected a UTF-8 language for your
computer then that's likely to be just fine. More proportionally more US
amateurs are using default Microsoft language setups which are not UTF-8
based. They are also using old, unsupported (and sadly now
unsupportable), Node software (yes, I am looking at you AR Cluster)
which doesn't understand UTF anything.

So there is a kludge in DXSpider that can produce weird things like this
where it tries to display (for instance) some comment in a non-US
English language. In theory it should pass it through and, AFAIK, it
does. But what comes out at the other end will depend on the route is
has taken. Stuff gets stripped out or added in by other node software -
having said that, your example looks like valid UTF-8 but hexified. I do
do stuff to try to cope with duplicates (and a few other things) that
strips out "special" characters, in a attempt to deal with duplicate
text that reappears when it comes out of old node software connections.
But this should not affect display. But I have not looked at this for
quite a while (read: several years).

For the absence of doubt: perl supports (and uses) utf-8 internally and
has done since at least 5.10.1. I want to make DXSpider (mojo) utf-8
compliant. In fact: MAKE IT STANDARD. But, sadly, that will throw up all
sorts of other problems which may limit sources of spots. Please don't
scream at me, it's  not my fault.

There seems to be an increasing list of things I need to look at and fix
(sigh).

René, do you know which (git) version of DXSpider, or failing that, the
software date you were using? It would help me enormously.

73 Dirk G1TLH