[Dxspider-support] Tons of russian spots

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 00:15:51 BST 2022

On 04/09/2022 21:07, Simon Ravnič via Dxspider-support wrote:
> Maybe we can limit the number of different IPs that the user can spot from to e.g. 5 per month. And it would be tracked in the network, not only on one node. Sort of autogenerating filter list.

It *is* (capable of being) tracked on the network as login and spot IP
addresses are available "all the time" - provided that the version of
DXSpider is new enough (i.e. quite old now). It was originally added in
2009. Every PC92A since then has had an IP address on it. You should
also be aware that fairly recent versions of both branches have anti
sniping protection (with logging). PC61 spots with IP addresses were
added in 2015.

But one way to deal with this, which I am starting to favour (at least a
bit) is to make registration the default, maybe even retroactively,
together with adding something in the initial node exchange to indicate
"this node is using registration" and some kind of policy regarding how
much to believe non-registration implementing nodes' data.

Dirk G1TLH