[Dxspider-support] My IP bloqued badip_global file WHY?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Apr 1 21:28:04 BST 2023

Jose

I am sorry you were inconvenienced, it is possible I got the wrong end
of the stick and I thought I was being explicitly asked to deny this IP.
Various sysops have, apparently, made you a badspotter as well. Your ip
address will be out of the badip list in the next cycle after 15mins
past the hour.

IANADxer so, as the central point for more (and soon more) centralised
information to be distributed to other nodes, I have no real opinion on
what is good or bad spotting etiquette. I simply do what I am asked.

What I *would* observe, however, is that there is a great deal of
complaining about clearly automated FTx spots on the (as these people
would see it) analogue spotting "channel". Amongst the arguments they
have are: "they are filling up the (ed: spotting) channel", "using spots
as an automated log", "it's self spotting", "there are too many of these
things", "FTx users can use their RBN (ed: other services are
available)", "we don't understand them", "meaningless to us" etc etc etc.

And this is just a small set of the complaints I see on other forums. I
think the argument that has most merit is that no other mode routinely
"auto spots" and worse, it has come to many FTx spotters attention that
nodes (not *just* DXSpider) are filtering them out and regular FTx
spotters are now actively (and deliberately) changing their info texts
to *get around* the filters.

This sort of thing has happened in the past, for example ROS, which used
the same auto spotting idea as whichever program is doing this. There
was, to be fair, a lot more of it. But I had words and asked them to use
a DXSpider chat channel (not surprisingly called 'ROS') which is
broadcast to all nodes, but is only seen by those users that chose to
subscribe to that channel (join/leave ros). It is still active today
(sh/chat ros) and goes on in the background, not causing anyone a problem.

While I am on about chat channels: all DXSpider nodes are automatically
subscribed to chat channel: #9000 and a 'chat #9000 Don't Panic!" will
go  out to all logged in sysops (IIRC by email as well, but I'll have to
check on Monday). This has fallen into disuse but, in these sometimes
difficult times, this mechanism could be a useful way to communicate
immediate issues requiring action.

Dirk G1TLH