[Dxspider-support] Permissions

Kelly Leavitt kelly at catcorner.org
Mon Feb 6 17:28:38 GMT 2023

My installation was an ongoing update from many years ago. I was alerted by a fellow sysop that I was seriously out of date.

I tried to run the backup/update script (https://github.com/glaukos78/dxspider_installation_v2/tree/devel) and found out even my OS was really out of date.
Updated OS (that alone took two iterations). My site lives on a headless VM server so upgrading the OS was a bit of a challenge but I was able to do it.

I was then able to run the upgrade script as root, but I still got some weird notices about permissions when run.

After a couple of back and forth emails I decided to shut down the site and change ownership of everything in the spider directory to sysop.

I changed into the install directory and did
sudo find . -exec chown sysop {} \;

The I restarted the service. Everything seems to be much more stable now.

I think I'm going to do a clean install on a new instance to verify what the permissions on everything should be and clean up the mess I have.

73 de Kelly, KE2L