[Dxspider-support] Dx-World and DxCluster

Mikel EA2CW ea2cw at gautxori.com
Sun Feb 12 21:20:16 GMT 2023

First of all, I beg your pardon for my bad english. It is not my mother
language and I cannot express myself as well as I wanted to . That said,
I am a bit surprised by some of the posts I've reading on both
mail/group lists (cc-cluster & dx-spider).

I thought than Ham Radio was about tech innovation, experimenting,
self-teaching, etc. Instead of these, I saw some colleagues who wish to
keep all those old things without changes.

I expected, of course, some level of reactivity from those who have to
make the bigger efforts (mainly two unfortunate soft developers, Lee and
Dirk) and will confront the bigger part of the work (at least on the
near future), but never from the people who -in a non-profit way- are
mantaining the cluster system running.

We have a system that has been serving the ham community with
information (more or less confidable) for a long time. Not only now, but
going worse, we have to fight a 0.00001 percent of that users (probably
the same who make DQRM during risk and cost dxpeditions) putting bad
data into the info system. We have to better the system or it wil become
-perhaps slowly but for sure- useless.

Of course, any change made on the cluster net will have consequences on
the other systems connected to them. No doubt that some "reactive"
measures has been adopted (badips, badnodes, badusers,etc.). Note I said
"reactive".

Think for example in the bank system. As 99.9999% of the users are good
people, let them use the ATMs without password. Or connect 3rd part
systems (bizum, paypal, etc) with no security. It will be ok the
99.99999% of the time. If someone steal money, we will punish him, don't
worry! Where is the need of "proactive" security measures, like
passwords, cards, biometrics?

We are not proposing here a breaking change. We can mantain a low-level
security network, where the users and client software will be able to be
feeded by the cluster net, from any node, trusty or unsafe. Of course
the quality of the info provided by the non-secured nodes will not be
the same, as you must front the input of fake information, (allow me not
to explain more about the security breaches that could exist in a near
future, but we can see some symptoms on every major dxpedition or contest).

On the other hand, we can develope a 2nd level network that can be ONLY
consulted by the 1st level nodes/users , but they will not be allowed to
put information in. No security protocols, no passwords, no id
requirements. This net should meet at least with these requirements,
that can be more or less pregressively developed and in the best way to
affect as less as possible to the existing net itself, the different
node softwares, and then the "client" ones (loggers, contest tools,
SDRs,...):

- Node safe identification. Every node should known each other, and
secure the info running between them.
- Client (dx hunter, contester, etc) identified to be able to upload
information to the net. This should be filled by a per node policy or
better, a shared system of SSO (single sign on) which allow any client
to be identified by one node only and be able to id himself on any node.
Each system has its pro/contras.
- Interconnection with 3rd part nets (see RBN) as secure as possible.
They will have to front its own security risks too.

- Tools enough to reject bad nodes, bad "clients" and bad data (fake
spots mainly and then "badwords")

The result of these implementations will define the final quality of the
information feeded to the system, and also, the quality of the
information given to all those 3rd part systems as well. We all know
about some systems running today where no serious dxer or contester will
connect to. He will be given only trash. All the involved software
developers will have to choose which source they want to be connected to.

Finally, don't forget than in a wide field of our "market" another big
source of information already exists. I'm talking about RBN. Out of SSB,
almost all other modes are fulfilled by it. Of course it has also its
own problems of data reliability (we will not talk about the quality
specs that sometimes are asked for to it, and then we -cluster nodes-
don't accomplish with)

I know we know ham ops are getting more and more aged, and as good 3rd
agers are proclive to reject changes, think on the old good times, but
don't forget that we are here to learn, to experiment and to go forward,
that has been our history from the very radio begginings. We don't do
this for the money (I hope in 99.99999% of the cases), but for the joy.
Don't let that 0.000001% of us to break the 99.0000% efforts because we
don't want to change our mind a bit.

Please excuse me for the language, typos and other mistakes

As always, 73 & good radio
Mikel EA2CW

(sent to cc-cluster discussion list too)