[Dxspider-support] 2 more newbie questions

Ian Maude ijmaude at icloud.com
Tue Feb 14 13:05:27 GMT 2023

> On 14 Feb 2023, at 12:44, Terry Hunt via Dxspider-support <dxspider-support at tobit.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
> Thanks to the people that contacted me and allowed me to be an adjacent node.  I now am connected to 3 nodes and spots seem to be flowing in like they should.
>
> I do have a couple newbie questions for things I have not seen.
>
> 1.  Security - I turned on registration, but passwords, do Sysops normally turn this on? If so, I see the Sysop has to configure the first.  Is it possible to setup a script to automagically set the initial password to the users call sign and then hand control back to the user for setting something different?

Registration is good.  I would not make passwords mandatory.  People can request a password if they want one.

> 2.  Is there any variables that can be used in MOTD to give status of cluster?  If so is there a list of them somewhere?

By status, what do you mean?

> I guess I have one other question I have not seen anywhere
> Is there any best practices from an administration point of view.  Things to check / do at regular intervals?  I am thinking check for updates, patch system (normally I do that monthly) but is there anything from cluster operation that tends to be problematic I should monitor?

In general, a DXSpider node just runs.  You can automate several things using the inbuilt crontab, including downloading updates.  I probably need to add something on the wiki for this.

73 Ian (G0VGS)