[Dxspider-support] 2 more newbie questions

Terry Hunt terry at thenuttyhunt.house
Tue Feb 14 12:44:20 GMT 2023

Hello everyone,
Thanks to the people that contacted me and allowed me to be an adjacent node.  I now am connected to 3 nodes and spots seem to be flowing in like they should.

I do have a couple newbie questions for things I have not seen.

1.  Security - I turned on registration, but passwords, do Sysops normally turn this on? If so, I see the Sysop has to configure the first.  Is it possible to setup a script to automagically set the initial password to the users call sign and then hand control back to the user for setting something different?
2.  Is there any variables that can be used in MOTD to give status of cluster?  If so is there a list of them somewhere?
I guess I have one other question I have not seen anywhere
Is there any best practices from an administration point of view.  Things to check / do at regular intervals?  I am thinking check for updates, patch system (normally I do that monthly) but is there anything from cluster operation that tends to be problematic I should monitor?

Thanks for all the help so far,
Terry

Thanks,
Terry Hunt