[Dxspider-support] Some network data

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Mon Feb 20 22:17:33 GMT 2023

   I have stayed out of most of this, and to be honest I am pretty much
to darn busy to be in the middle of this on a day to day basis.
Apparently Kin has a lot of time to put into this at the moment, and
that's great, not all of us do, and I fit that category.   As I run a
hosting facility, I do make sure the node is very highly available and
as close to 100% uptime as is possible.

  That said, I did add in the routines to update and track the bad
spotter lists, but I also have zero desire to run around setting
lockouts and such just because someone is behind a little.  I keep
WB3FFV-2 fairly current, at Mojo 497 currently, but when I dipped a
version behind for a few, I got dinged by Kin for not being current.   I
value uptime and stability over making sure I track every little
revision change, as many running the various ham software stay connected
24/7 all the time, hundreds of users, so why keep kicking them off.
Also at times stability or bugs are found in a new release, so shy of a
big security fix, why jump the second something comes out.

  So I have to say, creating a list, and then just locking sites out due
to this list someone decided to make, is a sledgehammer approach.  If we
have a node we know is being abused, we know bad spots are going out
from, then sure set a lockout so the op can be informed of the issue,
and why this temp lockout was set.

  Also as Mike mentioned, for sure we are shooting total innocents on
this, as not everyone follows everything going on with this list, so
people just find out the hard way they have been blocked.   As easy as
it is to setup a node, I would not be surprised if some of them are
little Pi's for personal use by the op,  and maybe a few other hams,
it's that easy to do.

 From a different email thread, but I wanted to mention it.  I have
always enforced registration to post spots, but do not enforce passwords
and at this point and don't currently plan too.   I don't believe we
have had any issues with my node, and I know the author of the N3FJP
contest software, and it has issues with passwords, so enforcing
passwords at this point without notice would break some really popular
software that is in use.  I am not a fan of going out of our way to
break the network, and it seems this has been done for some recently.

  So in conclusion, I will again agree with Mike, and say that we have
been implementing improvements, so not sit back and see how much trouble
we still have, and what is required to solve any glaring problems.
Hopefully what has already been done, will have greatly improved the
situation..

73's...

---
Howard Leadmon - WB3FFV