[Dxspider-support] Secure node to node connection proposal

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 18:44:46 GMT 2023

On 26/02/2023 09:36, Mikel EA2CW via Dxspider-support wrote:
> After a lot of hours with some sysops already here, I have wrote down
> a first proposal of the first -small- step we could take, rising a bit
> the node 2 node connections. Again, this is only a basic document to
> start, not an absolute and unique true.
> I expect to have an good open discussion among all us to define and
> agree the path to a better dx-cluster net.

I do not see the point of have a secure connection between nodes. This,
to me, is very similar to the push by Google (and others) to demand that
every website shall use https even those (like dxcluster.org) that have
nothing on them (not even some kind of web login) that might need the
"protection" of https. I might add that I think that encrypted web
logins, including passwords are rather overblown for something like
DXSpider - unless you are even more paranoid than I am about network
level surveillance and/or tracking.

But, if someone wants to play with this sort of thing, implement/test it
and will be willing to send me a pull request when it works, then have a
look at this module: https://docs.mojolicious.org/Mojo/IOLoop/TLS.

This should likely integrate fairly easily, as it uses the same async
TCP management as the rest of the code. It would be interesting to see
how much extra CPU and (especially)  latency it introduces.

73 Dirk G1TLH