[Dxspider-support] The responsibility of sysops

Kin ea3cv at cronux.net
Sun Jan 15 08:33:23 GMT 2023

Hi,

Some time ago I decided to address the issue of DXSpider node updates,
informing sysops of the need to keep their nodes up to date, eliminating
bugs and adding improvements and new features.

Very few have responded to my emails, despite offering them help in
updating. I know that they are not obliged, but the courtesy typical of a
radio amateur is forgotten, that our nodes are not isolated and autonomous
elements, the Network is alive because those nodes interact with each other,
taking the information to any part of the radio community.

Our responsibility to include a node in the Network, involves maintaining it
to avoid harming the rest of the Network, let's be aware that we are the
administrators and our task is to manage them as best as possible.

There are plenty of nodes that haven't even included your email in their
node configuration.

Many others are not even aware of the existence of this List or simply
believe that they do not need it. But those who set up their node and have
not touched it again for fear that it will stop working, those would be
interested in being on this List.

Of the 420 nodes on the Net today, at least 380 appear to be DXSpider. Of
those, 232 are out of date, and soon this number will increase when Dirk
publishes a new build.

Let's spread the need to keep the Network in the best conditions among the
sysops of our neighboring nodes.

Let's promote that spirit of collaboration and help that defines us as radio
amateurs.

73 de Kin EA3CV