[Dxspider-support] DXSpider mojo branch build 482

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 14:41:54 GMT 2023

There is a new release on the mojo branch.

The main changes that will be of interest are:

1. There is now a complete implementation of stopping logins from TOR
nodes and some other bad IP addresses. I maintain the badip.torexit,
badip.torrelay and badip.global files. If you follow the instructions
below for your local crontab,  you will keep a current set of 'bad ip
addresses'. You can also add your own local bad ip addresses with the
set/badip command. But if you think this IP address is a problem, tell
the support mailing list and I will add it to the 'global' list, which
will be distributed around those nodes that download the master lists.

You will need to install Net::CIDR::Lite to utilise the badip stuff.

2. There is a mechanism for aliasing localhost on client connections
and/or other rfc1918 addresses for more complex node arrangements such
as web clusters etc. The default arrangement a simple node with one
external ip address will "just work" automatically, once it has either
connect to another node, or an external user connects.

This means that sshing into a node, running a console and doing a few dx
commands will result in the external address appearing in the routing
tables locally and externally automatically. If you have a more complex
networking arrangement, please get in touch on here (or privately) for
advice.

3. There is a mechanism that uses information from incoming PC92 A
records as well as PC61 spots to "upgrade" PC11 spots into PC61s. There
is command 'show/spotstats' (or 'sh/spot' for short) that displays some
statistics as to how this is all going where you are in the network.
Don't be disheartened if you only see a small percentage of upgrades. It
depends very much on how many and which nodes that only send PC11 spots
you are connected to. I happen to get upwards of 6% on my test machine,
but that means there will be that many fewer for some other node to do.

I expect that there will be questions....

73 Dirk G1TLH

Here is the Changes file:

20Jan23=======================================================================
1. Add the variable @main::localhost_names to allow other IP addresses to
    be treated in the same way as localhost in item 1 on 19Jan23 below. NOTE
    you must include ALL the normal localhost names + any other interface
    names that you might want to include:

       set/var @main::localhost_names qw(127.0.0.1 ::1 192.168.1.30)

    using the qw() construction is easier than:

       set/var @main::localhost_names ('127.0.0.1', '::1', '192.168.1.30')

    but either will work. You can define as many IP addresses as you
like and
    they can be IPV4 or 6.

    You do NOT need to fiddle with this unless you specifically have more
    than just the normal definitions of localhost. So for 'normal' nodes
with
    one external interface, you DO NOT NEED TO DO ANY OF THIS.
2. Added CTY-3304 prefix data
19Jan23=======================================================================
1. Introduce aliasing for localhost in DX Spots and outgoing PC92 A records
    on login. There are two variables which can be set with the alias to
use:
       $main::localhost_alias_ipv4
       $main::localhost_alias_ipv6
    These can be set in the /spider/scripts/startup, but this is only
    necessary if the node has more than one interface, or virtual hosts. If
    there is ONLY ONE ipv4 and/or ipv6 IP address on the node machine then
    these variables will be automatically populated on first use. But
the SAFE
    thing to do is to set them in the startup file.

    THIS FEATURE IS EXPERIMENTAL...
18Jan23=======================================================================
1. Make sure than *every* channel has an IP address. Thank you (I think)
Kin
    for pointing out that PC92 A records were not going out with IP
addresses.
    I'm guessing that other things (like spots) had a similar problem.
15Jan23=======================================================================
1. Fix strange errors for carp on missing route_*_cache files on startup.
14Jan23=======================================================================
1. Fixed route PC11 promotions so that a new PC61 is actually generated and
    also sent instead of the original PC11 (to PC61 capable nodes).
13Jan23=======================================================================
1. Periodically store Routing tables and, if they are young enough (def:
3hrs)
    autotically restore them on restart of the node. This will short circuit
    the need to rebuild the routing tables from scratch on every restart -
    which is normally for something like software update.
2. Fix pc11 debugging stats with the correct figures. Sigh... Also move some
    of the totals to a different place.
3. Add show/spotstats command which gives the current spot statistics shown
    during pc11 debugging (which means you don't need to set/deb pc11 unless
    you really want that extra noise).
12Jan23=======================================================================
1. Regularise 'set/debug pc11' output to track all the routes through
PC11 and
    PC61 processing and statistics.
11Jan23=======================================================================
1. Improve (?) the PC11 -> PC61 upgrading process that delays incoming PC11s
    for a very short time in the hope that a PC61 will come in to be used
    instead. It will also upgrade a PC11 if we have an uptodate IP address
    that has come in from the routing system PC92s. do a 'set/debug
pc11' to
    see it in action.
2. I have chosen a definitive list of TOR exits and relays which can be
    downloaded from http://www.dxspider.net/download/badip.torexit,
http://www.dxspider.net/download/badip.torrelay and finally, for those IP
    addresses that are deemed to be 'bad':
http://www.dxspider.net/download/badip.global. I have added the following
    lines to my /spider/local_cmd/crontab:

24 * * * * spawn('cd /spider/local_data; wget -qN
http://www.dxspider.net/download/badip.torexit')
24 * * * * spawn('cd /spider/local_data; wget -qN
http://www.dxspider.net/download/badip.torrelay')
24 * * * * spawn('cd /spider/local_data; wget -qN
http://www.dxspider.net/download/badip.global')
25 * * * * run_cmd('load/badip')

    The tor files are downloaded from
https://lists.fissionrelays.net/tor/ at
    15 minutes past every hour, please would you use some other minute than
    23 or 24 to get your own local copies.

    A 'set/debug badip' will show you what is being blocked.
3. Fix set/badip so that it appends new IP addresses correctly.
10Jan23=======================================================================
1. Add baddx on incoming callsign in RBN.
2. Search for all /spider/local_data/badip.* files to allow more control on
    which IP addresses are detected. e.g. badip.torexit, badip.torrelay
as well
    as baddx.local. The suffixes, apart from .local (created by
set/badip) are
    completely arbitrary. You can use whichever suffix name you like.
This is
    a more useful arrangement for the ever increasing sources of "bad ip
    addresses" that we need to deter.

    NOTE: all badip.<suffix> are read only EXCEPT badip.local (which can be
    altered in real time by the sysop using set/badip <ip address> ...).
    If one uses periodic crontab jobs to update any other badip.<suffix>
    files from web resources then don't forget to 'load/badip' afterwards.
3. Add a /spider/data/baddx.issue file which can be copied to (or used as a
    basis to create) /spider/local_data/baddx
09Jan23=======================================================================
1. Finish implemention of DXCIDR ip address filtering. This works on both
    logins (treated the same as locked out - i.e. just disconnected) and
also
    with PC61s where these sentences are just dropped. Also attempt to
prevent
    any *following* PC11s with the same data getting through.

    YOU WILL NEED either 'cpanm Net::CIDR::Lite' or debian/ubuntu based
distros
    'apt install libnet-cidr-lite-perl'. RedHat based systems will have
similar
    packages available.

2. Recognise PC18s coming from CC Clusters more nicely.
1. Fillout DXCIDR, attach checks in PC61 and logins. Login that fail will
    simply disconnect, like locked out callsigns
2. Fix qrz.com URL in stock Internet.pm.
3. Fix DXHash issues (baddx, badnode, badspotter etc)