[Dxspider-support] Virtual Box Setup

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Sat Jan 28 15:09:09 GMT 2023

  Gary, I very much agree with you, in fact I run a sizable cluster in
Proxmox for business, and with the stack of servers it keeps 100% uptime
for me on critical apps and hosting.  I just placed a VM on it for Ham
related stuff, and the WB3FFV-2 node has been running in Proxmox (QEMU)
for quite sometime, only ever shutdown for updates to the VM/DXspider.

  Everyone has their virtualization choices, but VirtualBox is not
nearly as efficient as many others.  I have worked with KVM/QEMU, Xen,
and Hyper-V, and all work well given a good configuration.  I have run
Hyper-V's with up to a TB of RAM per server, and my current Proxmox
servers all have 384G ram per server.

  My DXpider VM is currently Ubuntu 20.04, but guess I should upgrade it
to 22.04 at some point.  I at this time have a VM with 6G RAM, and a few
CPU cores allocated, but have never seen it pass 3G in reality, and on
average never more than a single core in use.   So as Dirk says, it's
damn efficient for what it does.  That said, DXspider will run fantastic
under Proxmox (KVM/QEMU)..

73's...

---
Howard Leadmon - WB3FFV