[Dxspider-support] Virtual Box Setup

Kin ea3cv at cronux.net
Sat Jan 28 17:34:01 GMT 2023

If we assume that the user has an OS like Windows and does not want to
complicate things and is not very skilled in Linux/Unix environments, the
truth is that using Proxmox is not the best way to go.

The native Windows virtualization I have not had the opportunity to try it.
I have used quite a few years VMWare in enterprise environments and some
VirtualBox when I refused to install Windows as base OS, so I virtualized it
hahaha and it worked very well), I don't see much problem in its use and
stability, while it is true that it brings a load to the host OS, it
simplifies work and maintenance.

Currently there are quite a few sysops that are running DXSpider directly on
their Windows, which forces them to install perl and cross their fingers
when there is a system update. Using any kind of virtualization, the user is
closer to an environment (strange, yes) where the problems are confined to
their VM, i.e. native Linux.

If I have to choose, I'll stick with Docker on a Linux host, even if it's
the only container out there. Easy to manage, replicate, export, duplicate,
... and with less than 100 MB for a spider node, without being influenced by
host updates (except its own, obviously). I know it's not as fast to update
as it is on Linux itself, but automating it, you don't even notice it.
But its disadvantage is again that of the inexperienced user. You can't have
everything :)

If someone is encouraged to make a HowTo to virtualize natively on Windows,
it will be appreciated.

Have a nice weekend.

Kin

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)