[Dxspider-support] Hamclock connections

Michael Walker mike at portcredit.net
Thu Mar 2 11:33:46 GMT 2023

Hi All

This is what I received back from the author.

Essentially, his set/qra command is what he uses for a heartbeat.  Would
this command also cause a write to an SD Card driven PI?  (I run on a
RPI4).  He does this once very 15 seconds/user.

Every spot requires a show/heading, increasing the calculation load.

Mike va3mw

Thanks for reaching out with your concerns. All your observations are
correct and by design. I will go through each of them and explain why they
occur.

>> *This is a partial log from VA3CW-1 and it seems that HamClock asks for
a show/heading on ever dxcluster spot.*

This is the only way I know of to get the lat/long of the spotted station.
I need this in order to show it on a map in real time.

>> *As well, every 15 seconds, HamClock sends a set/qra to the cluster.*

This is just a command chosen pretty much at random to avoid having the
connection timed off. I have found the required period varies greatly on
different clusters so I use 15 seconds as the longest I have found that
seems to work everywhere.

*>> As well, I would gather that all these commands to the DXCluster must
be processed not only by the DX Cluster but also the HamClock.  This would
be a lot of extra load. *

I admit I don't know what the load is on the spider side, but the load on
HamClock is absolutely negligible. HamClocks runs easily on a tiny embedded
ESP8266 single core processor running at 160 MHz, glacial by modern
standards.

I am certainly open to further discussion for more efficient means of
accomplishing what I am trying to do.

73, Elwood, WB0OEW