[Dxspider-support] Docker containerization of DXSpider

Matthew Chambers mchambers at mchambersradio.com
Sun Mar 5 19:58:46 GMT 2023

What'd be neat is if I could create a config.yml that lives a persistent
storage that I mount when running a spider dicker image, be fully hands off
to start/restart and I could migrate my node over to kubernetes off of a
traditional VM. Awesome work 👏.

Matthew NR0Q

On Sat, Mar 4, 2023, 20:28 Brian Stucker via Dxspider-support <
dxspider-support at tobit.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> If you are interested, I have been putting quite a bit of work into
> getting DXSpider running well within a Docker container.
>
> My reasons for doing this are:
>
>    - My dxspider client application is isolated from the rest of my linux
>    box which provides another layer of security should something go wrong.
>    - My user data is entirely separate from the cluster software.
>    Upgrading takes two commands to do and rebuilds everything from scratch.
>    This is great for testing and ensuring that my setup is configured exactly
>    the same each time.
>    - Build times are considerably faster with pre-compiled libraries,
>    libraries for dxspider do not  are in the container, so I don't have to
>    worry about corrupted deployments or different pieces of software on the
>    same machine interfering with one another.
>    - I can reliably run all of the software as a non-root account in the
>    container. Some configurations aren't set up this way, which isn't a great
>    idea from a security perspective.
>    - I can bring up multiple nodes or versions of the software on the
>    same box and connect them together to test things out.
>
> I am not a dxspider guru so I'm sure there are many improvements that
> could be made. I also have not extensively tested everything in this yet so
> DO NOT use this on your main dxspider deployment without poking at it to
> your own satisfaction first. My test environment is debian 10 and debian 11.
>
> Hopefully it can be of some use/help to the community. I highly recommend
> considering the use of containers instead of running software directly on
> host machines in general, especially if you're using hardware like a
> raspberry pi with an SD card for storage. It's just a matter of time until
> the SD card fails and you'll have to rebuild the machine. With containers
> it is a snap because you're always rebuilding everything from scratch by
> default with no hidden dependencies.
>
> Finally, acknowledgements to M0NKC, CT7ALW, and SV5FRI for their
> contributions to the community that gave me a good start on this.
>
> kb2s/dxspider-deployment: DX Spider Deployment (Amateur Radio) (github.com)
> <https://github.com/kb2s/dxspider-deployment>
>
> 73,
> Brian - KB2S

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the
recipient
specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share
any part of
this message with any third party, without a written consent
 of the
sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to
 this
message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a
 mistake
does not occur in the future.

Please do not print this email unless it is
necessary. Every unprinted email helps the environment.