[Dxspider-support] Poll to determine what default self spotting option we want.

Mike G3YPP mike at g3ypp.uk
Fri Mar 10 17:57:50 GMT 2023

I am the sysop for MX0NCA-2 which I manage on behalf of the Norfolk Coast Amateur Radio Society in the UK.

We are an active contesting club with a slant towards CW contesting.   Our node provides RBN spots which pretty much all our members use in CW and RTTY contests.
A popular feature is the *SEE ME* function.   Indeed, in the UK RTTY contest earlier this week as soon as I called CQ on RTTY at the start,  my cluster window filled up with *SEE ME* spots confirming to me that I was “getting out” and ‘spotting me’ in the cluster.   It was the adding of RBN in the mojo branch that encouraged us to set up our own RBN skimmer.

As I see it, this is no different really to self spotting.   The club skimmer may be spotting with a different callsign to the one I use in contests – but it is in my back garden, and feeds from my internet connection.      Perhaps this technology has led to the ‘acceptance’ of self-spotting for all modes.    It is actually a two edged sword because as soon as I get spotted a pile-up can occur which actually slows down the QSO rate at times.

So, yes!   I am for allowing self-spotting on the cluster network.   It isn’t needed on CW or data modes anyway, and I can’t see that SSB traffic will cause significant disruption to the network.

It’s a yes from me

Mike G3YPP
G4P in contests
Sysop for MX0NCA-2