[Dxspider-support] CW Skimmer spots - Can the WPM be shown?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 11:04:59 GMT 2023

On 24/03/2023 08:07, Keith Maton via Dxspider-support wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> I use Skookumlogger on the Mac and asked Bill if he could fix the DXSpider support (it broke some time ago).  He’s done that but he’s loathe to add full spider support because "The showstopper for me is that DX Spider discards the WPM info provided with skimmer spots.”

"It broke for me some time ago" and "discards the WPM info".  From my
point of view, I am confused. He is correct in that it discards the WPM
info - this is because I asked around (a bit) and was told it isn't
hugely important. I was and am strapped for space in the nominally 80
column line to put the wpm in somewhere and, if I do: what other
software will that now break?

But your first statement begs the question: did it ever work? Because I
have not changed the format since inception of the RBN interface.

Why is the WPM info useful? One can't use it as an indicator of SNR,
because there is no standard WPM to compare it against.

> Is there any way you can parse that info please so it gets sent to the user?

The problem is: where do I put it? The only way I would consider doing
it is if the WPM figure is an optional extra which would be enabled if a
'set/width 90' (or greater width) command was sent (once) on startup of
the connection and a 'set/rbnwpm' command is also sent as well.

I am still in firefighting mode at the moment, so it will have to wait
until I have put all that to bed before I look at this. There are some
other tweaks that the FTx side of the interface needs as well.