[Dxspider-support] Help needed!!!!!

Tim Tuck vk2xax at skybase.net
Thu Apr 11 04:12:58 BST 2024

I had a similar problem moving between providers, and moving across
different types of connectivity, VDSL, 5G and finally getting FTTP.

Rather than always having to mess about with changing IPs etc. I built a
small VM with PFsense firewall in a cloud provider and then my PFsense
server in my house connects to it via OpenVPN. The Cloud PFsense VM
presents a static IP to the world and it also runs HA-proxy that then
proxies connections back over the VPN to the servers in my house.

The benefit of this is that it doesn't matter what happens with your own
connection the cloud VM is always static.

You get additional benefit of having a firewall that can help keep the
nasties out, traffic monitoring, and other stuff.

I've done this since I have more than few servers to host locally and I
experiment with different types of virtualization, operating systems, etc.

Alternatively why not run DXspider in a cloud VM ?

Its tiny enough to run on most "free tier" servers available from many
vendors.

A good comparison of "free tiers" can be found here...

https://github.com/cloudcommunity/Cloud-Free-Tier-Comparison

cheers

Tim

--
VK2XAX : QF68KM : ITU59 : CQ30 : ORARC : WIA