[Dxspider-support] set/badip - what are its effects?

Martin Davies G0HDB marting0hdb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:59:24 GMT 2024

I've been trawling through the DXSpider documentation and the archives to try to find a
description of what the effects of the 'set/badip' command are, but I haven't found anything so
I'll be grateful if someone (eg. Dirk?) can provide some details.

For example, if I use the command to add the IP address of a suspected bad actor to a
node's local list, does that subsequently completely prevent that IP address from being able
to access the node, and is the bad IP address automatically promulgated to adjacent nodes
and hence to the wider DXCluster?  Does setting a bad IP address enable its owner to still
log in to a node but only as an unregistered user who is unable to enter spots, talks etc?
What are the differences between using the 'set/badip' and the 'set/lockout' commands and
when should each be used?

It'll be helpful to gain a better understanding of the effects of the 'set/badip' command before I
start using it too liberally...!

73 and thanks in advance,

--
Martin G0HDB (GB7DXC-5 sysop)