[Dxspider-support] Corrupt display on console.pl

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Feb 25 17:16:59 GMT 2024

And as I mentioned utf8, I should explain what DXSpider does with it.
Historically comments are munged so that utf8 is removed. Or to be more
accurate, any non-ascii (7 bit latin-1 characters ) have that top bit
removed. Also any utf8 markers are also removed.

I have wondered,  for at least the last ten years, whether I should just
go utf8 for ALL (user) input.  There's not a simple answer and it may
simply be impossible with so many nodes out there that refuse to update.
The only possible solution MAY  (no promises) be to not munge valid utf8
comments from originating users and to allow valid utf8 in PC61s
(hopefully the automatic preference for PC61 over PC11, if a node gets a
choice, still works correctly ;-). But one may well, still, get this
sort of gibberish if utf8 goes out to non-DXSpider nodes and then comes
in again from somewhere else. PC61/PC11 deduplication will need work to
cope with this as well.

Comments and suggestions will be carefully considered.

I feel a small, targetted, development window coming on.

73 Dirk G1TLH