[Dxspider-support] a request from a user....

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 09:57:03 BST 2000

I got this request from Mike Tubby G8TIC, I thought I might share it with the
rest of you....
--------------------------- cut here -----------------------------
Dirk,

Would you consider adding the following items to the SHOW/MUF code
as it would make it more flexible/usable:

a) command line arg to override the default -123dBm receiver, most of
us can do -128 to -130 these days and are limited by external noise

b) command line arg to override the default tx power of 20dBw, many
can run 400w (26dBw) or more, eg. 30dBw or 33dBw on 6m

c) time display in the table gives UT (UTC) and LT (local time) at his
end, if you think about it there are really three times:

UT = UTC
LT = Local time (my end)
HT = Local time (his end)

This is now obvious when we are on daylight savings time - I have to
remember to convert the UT to my-local-time and its only an hour which
isn't too bad.

However if you are a W6 doing SH/MUF to JA, or a KH6 doing SH/MUF to PY5
you can see why you'd need the local time for both ends of the link - the
other party might workout as being in bed!

d) ability to override the SFI on the command line

6-month smoothed average SFI

One important figure that propagation pundits bang-on about is the
smoothed SFI figure for the last 6 months.

This appears to be nothing more than a simple average of all available
SFI readings for a 6-month period.

Computed values of 6-month smoothed SFI always lag three months since
it is expressed as being available for the mid-point, so 6 months
individual SFI readings which are available up to today (6th April)
could give us the 6-month average for Jan-6th.

Could you keep a dynamic list of the last 6-months worth of figures
and be able to report the 6-month average, perhaps as an extra line
of output on SHOW/WWV like:

6-month smoothed SFI (until Jan 6th 2000) = 193

if you could it would be very useful.

Then, of course, we'd like a command line option to tell SHOW/MUF
to use the 6-month smoothed figure rather than the current day's
value...

Mike

--
Dirk-Jan Koopman, Tobit Computer Co Ltd
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will find