[Dxspider-support] user SSID

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Jan 14 22:10:56 GMT 2001

On Sunday 14 January 2001 21:45, you wrote:
> You are right, but it does not help if they log in via telnet where they
> can put any ssid. It would not let a cluster node in, maybe could be
> done by extending ax25d.conf further though (adding callsings to match).
> I telnet myself when I am at another qth than home, and at the same time
> have the console logged in, thus use another ssid (to get in).
>
> I think pavillion, possibly dxnet, assigns ssid 0 to the first
> connection, then ssid 1 to the next (if already connected somewhere in
> the visible cluster net or at the same node). Exception is where the
> ssid is defined as a node, or ssid 7 or higher (somehow) it gets the
> same ssid (probably 15 is set to 0?).
>
> To conclude.
> I would find it useful if personal data including mail is associated
> with the call minus ssid.

Unfortunately, it ain't that simple and never has been.

You use it like that. Other people use it precisely TO differenciate between
different logical 'users' (ie the exact opposite).

Also, in countries like the US, an SSID is the only way of differenciating
between a node and the sysop and that is how they use it.

Whatever I do it will be wrong for someone.

What will happen is that spider will allow you connect in more than one place
with the same callsign (sysop settable parameter) but that also has problems
(with things like deciding which instance to send mail and talk messages to).
Even this facility will not happen anytime soon as it requires a rewrite of
the internal routing tables and some other internal changes that need to
happen.

Dirk G1TLH