[Dxspider-support] File forwarding and other questions

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 01:19:33 GMT 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 00:09, Martin Davies G0HDB wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2001, at 19:55, Iain Philipps wrote:

>  Knowing the relative
> sizes of the user communities would help in guiding future decisions
> about making changes to the way the overall DXCluster functions
> (unless the Microsoft approach is to be adopted - don't make
> anything backward compatible!).

It's late. I'm tired. I am having a sense of humour failure. I apologise
in advance to the overwhelming majority of you reading this, to whom all
but the last two paragraphs do NOT APPLY.

<RANT>

I am NOT writing or maintaining an AK1A clone. Nothing will be achieved
other that keeping one or two people, that have forgotten the conditions
written in their licence documents, happy. Can I remind you that a
principle licencing condition is "for self-training". Self training
implies experimenting; doing different (something we like to do a lot of
here in Norfolk) and, above all, LEARNING! All of these imply CHANGE.

If you are unhappy with the way commands are done in DXSpider (and I may
add: that in the next release or two all those damn '/' characters will
become optional [I repeat: OPTIONAL]), then please would you do me the
courtesy of using some other package more to your liking and
unsubscribing from this reflector instead of sniping from the sidelines.
I will not be bound by some archaic command parser (including the one
that we are still using in current versions of DXSpider) if I can
provide improvements by doing something different (for those of you new
to my stuff, please don't get overly scared by this - I tend to work in
a very gradual way).

People have prevailed upon me and I have gone to a great deal more
trouble than I personally wanted, to maintain command line compatibility
with AK1A. As time goes on and new commands are added, it is extremely
unlikely that these commands will be compatibile with AK1A at all. But
then AK1A probably does not have the functionality that these commands
would provide either.

Just to make it absolutely clear. I am writing this stuff FOR MY SELF
TRAINING, for ME, so that I can LEARN A BIT MORE - selfish fool that I
am!

If other people are kind enough to help, either by using the software,
adding to it, pointing out bugs or asking for features to added that is
great, important to me and I REALLY appreciate it. But at the end of the
day, it is me that does most of work, so I get to make most of
decisions.

Good morning to you!

</RANT>

Dirk G1TLH