[Dxspider-support] New Linux Installation

John Spigel jms at 99main.com
Sun Feb 3 03:23:44 GMT 2002

Here is are some newbie questions. We are installing DxSpider 1.49 on RH
Linux7.2. The install was confusing as it differed some from the website
instructions, but so far we've completed the preliminary installs and
have spider running with Telnet access locally. We've grabbed and loaded
the AX25-i386prm utility and will need to do configuration for the
TNC/RF side of things.

I would like to run two TNC ports, one for users and the second for a
link to the rest of the cluster. Both will be 1200 baud for now. The
nearest cluster connection runs AK1A software. In the future the
connection will be internet.

1.  Will I be able to use the link from DXSpider to an AK1A system, or
should I pursue the internet connection to another DXSpider node?

2.  There seems to be no recommedations for TNC's. I have available a
KPC4 and a PK88. Which install should I use for the TNC's?  AX25 only,
KISS mode, or? Should I find other TNC's, or use a spare SB sound card?
What gives the best results? I want to do this once.

3.  Where can I find specific instructions for configuring the TNC
interfaces?  The AX25-HOWTO website instructions seem pretty complicated
for a newbie with too many ways to go. Is the AGW Engine required for
Linux? Has somebody who has documented the steps willing to share them?

Thanks!
John W1AN