[Dxspider-support] New Linux Installation

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sun Feb 3 05:15:41 GMT 2002

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 10:23:44PM -0500, John Spigel wrote:
> Here is are some newbie questions. We are installing DxSpider 1.49 on RH
> Linux7.2. The install was confusing as it differed some from the website
> instructions, but so far we've completed the preliminary installs and
> have spider running with Telnet access locally. We've grabbed and loaded
> the AX25-i386prm utility and will need to do configuration for the
> TNC/RF side of things.
>
> I would like to run two TNC ports, one for users and the second for a
> link to the rest of the cluster. Both will be 1200 baud for now. The
> nearest cluster connection runs AK1A software. In the future the
> connection will be internet.
>
> 1.  Will I be able to use the link from DXSpider to an AK1A system, or
> should I pursue the internet connection to another DXSpider node?

You can connect to either.  Use set/node for AK1A or set/spider for
DXSpider (see installation.txt).

> 2.  There seems to be no recommedations for TNC's. I have available a
> KPC4 and a PK88. Which install should I use for the TNC's?  AX25 only,
> KISS mode, or? Should I find other TNC's, or use a spare SB sound card?
> What gives the best results? I want to do this once.
>
> 3.  Where can I find specific instructions for configuring the TNC
> interfaces?  The AX25-HOWTO website instructions seem pretty complicated
> for a newbie with too many ways to go. Is the AGW Engine required for
> Linux? Has somebody who has documented the steps willing to share them?

Be sure you get the latest version of the AX25-HOWTO.  It contains the
instructions for use with the newer kernels.  Also, there are some
useful tips at N8UR's website, www.febo.com (AGW is for Windows). You
should probably subscribe to the linux-hams at vger.kernel.org mailing
list if you have any AX.25 questions.

Bob, N7XY