[Dxspider-support] 2 Newbie Querstions

Mike Lewis mlewis at digitalglobe.com
Tue Jan 8 15:37:01 GMT 2002

Hi,
Sorry for the most-likely newbie questions, but I am unable to resolve these
so far on my own, so I am trying the list.
I am a new user of the Spider S/W. I have setup a local, 2m RF based cluster
that is just intended to be used by a local club of hams, and we
specifically do not wish to get spots outside our area, so I am not
intending to connect the cluster to any other nodes. My node is hosted on a
Windows based system, running the AGW packet engine, and I actually have
been able to get it up and running relatively easily, with the exception of
two items. I was hoping to get some guidance on those items from someone on
the list.
1) I have noticed that is is currently not possible to have users enter WWV
info. This was an intentional decision on the designer's part. I would like
to figure out a way to get this info into the node. Since I am unconnected
to other nodes, it would seem that I either need to discover the way to
allow local users to enter this data (thru some mechanism implemented in a
wwv.pl perl script in local_cmd, perhaps?), and/or figure out an automated
way to fetch this data off the web and back feed it into the proper database
in the Spider file system. Can anyone give me any guidance on either of
these approaches, or any other salient advice on this issue?
2) I would like to discover a mechanism that would allow the node to beacon
onto the local 2m packet frequency that the SV2AGW packet engine has me
running on, at least initially while the node is new on the frequency. The
setup is currently using either a PK-232 or a MFJ-1270 TNC 2, running in
KISS mode. Has anyone done this? Can it be done? Is it supported by the
packet engine, spider software, or do I need to write something myself (I am
a C/C++ programmer who has done both DOS and Windows based programming using
Turbo C/C++ or C++ Builder products...)
One last issue. My home email account (which I am using to send this), will
soon be changing, so I did not wish to subscribe to the list from this
system. My work email is mlewis at digitalglobe.com
<mailto:mlewis at digitalglobe.com>. If anyone has any input, and could send a
copy of the reply also to that email address, it would be most appreciated.
Thanks to Dirk for a great program, and to everyone for reading!
73 es gud DX de KE0MF
ML