[Dxspider-support] Badwords.

Fred Allstadt n1zuk at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 9 16:56:36 GMT 2002

Perhaps the word "sales" was the offending word?

I know that many of the European laws are strict about conducting business
over the Amateur bands, and it's really not much different here in the
US.  Our FCC is fuzzy when it comes to what's legal, and what's not.  We
can allow individual hams to offer an item for sale, but can not negotiate
a price over the air.  It's legal to use a repeater phone patch to order a
pizza, but I can't call my secretary (well, if I had one!) and give her
business instructions (though I could call her, and tell her I'm tied up in
traffic, and will be late).  It's all very muddy.

As a programming task, it's nearly impossible to ask software to determine
these choices, what's legal, and what's not.  Dirk did a great job getting
filtering in place, and quickly.  Perhaps the next iteration of the badword
filter will put a message on hold (or perhaps just forward it to the
sysop), when a word found in the list is bad.  The message can then be
reviewed, and released if the sysop determines it meets the criteria that
it's legal to send.

Just my $0.02 worth...
Fred  N1ZUK