[Dxspider-support] Users vs Performance?

Kelly Jones kjones at sullivan1.com
Sun Feb 9 18:06:01 GMT 2003

Hi Arnold and the rest of the list...

Yes, I'll be happy to give everyone a little more info

>Could you provide us with some more info, like kernel version, perl
>version and what is the log telling you on the moment the "hang" appears?
>Specially the last lines of /spider/data/debug/2003/0xx.dat would be
>handy (if there is something at all)

While watching the log with watchdbg, 2 of the 4 times the last line was
when the cron executed.  I currently on have 1 line in the file which is a
connect KE9KD-2 if not connected statement.  KE9KD-2 is my current CLX box
that is being retired, but I still want to feed it spots until it goes
completely QRT.

The other two times the console.pl hung there didn't seem to be anything
unusual.  I seem to recall one of the two just showing a PC17 frame being
sent to my link partners, the 1st time it happened, I didn't think to look
in the log thinking I caused it to hang while messing around.

>a perl -v tells you with perl version you have. I have seen that the
>latest versions of perl are build thread-multi with some distros,
>perhaps this could be the cause? Although I doubt that Slackware 7.1
>would carry such version of perl.

The perl version may be the issue.  Doing a perl -v I get:  This is perl
v5.6.1 built for i386-linux.  Maybe upgrading to 5.8.0 multi-thread would
help?  If I understand this correctly, my current version must be single
threaded which would mean all process have to "stand in line" to get
processed.  Perhaps a multi-thread would sove the problem?

Something else I noticed late last night (2am ;-) ) while messing with
this, is that IF I let everything alone, Spider recovers.  It seemed to
take anywhere from ~30 seconds to a few minutes.  This would lead me to
believe some sort of "queue" is getting backed up and once it settles down,
things return to normal.

I will upgrade my perl version and see what I can break doing that. ;-)

The kernel is 2.4.5 custom compile for this box with AX25 in the kernel.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  I'll let you know the results.

Kelly - KE9KD
http://www.dx-central.com