[Dxspider-support] anyone running DXspider on RH / FC systems?

Andrea Borgia borgia at cs.unibo.it
Wed Aug 25 19:21:31 BST 2004

Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:

> One big plus with SuSE is that Spider is nearly plug and play.  All of
> the perl objects and AX.25 files are in the distro so there is no need
> to download and install any additional packages.  You don't even need to
> recompile the kernel to get packet radio operational.  I have found it
> to be the most Ham friendly distro out.

I am biased towards Debian at the moment and I freely admit it, but in
my case all problems were due to the simple and inescapable fact that...
I had never even _used_ a cluster node before I was (almost) given the
task of setting up one. I suppose Debian should work out of the box,
too, when it comes to the kernel(*), but the perl stuff has to be
downloaded via apt-get (no big deal). Of course, much depends on what
answers you give during setup.

Back to SuSE: did you perform a standard install? Which version of the
distro are you talking about? Was there any SuSE-specific file to tweak
to have a good setup? ("good" does not mean just working: there's more
than one way to do it and one of them looks best 8-)

The kind of trivia I have in mind is: perl-module-FOO is called
perl-libfoo in debian, perl-modules-libfoo in distro xyz and something
else in SuSE (random examples). Dirk has written the docs with the
generic perl names in mind and I think it would be a good idea to
present the readers with the distro-specific equivalents of those names.
Hence my joke about gentoo: they're the least likely to benefit from
such kind of hand-holding.

As an aside: my articles will fit in a series that has used RH as basis
for examples in the past, so my desire to provide a multi-distro
perspective is in part simple need.

B73,
Andrea.

(*) I was taught at the uni that you always roll the most appropriate
kernel for a given target, if you can afford it, and for a reason.

--
Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it     /    Amateur radio: IZ4FHT