[Dxspider-support] Help Needed: New install on WinXP

David Spoelstra davids at mediamachine.com
Sat Dec 18 19:29:21 GMT 2004

Ah, perfect timing.  I'm rewriting the Windows installation instructions.
I'm not done yet, but maybe I can help some here.

First off, you *must* be using an administrator account on WinXP.
Second, to use my instructions, you must have a connection to the Internet
on the machine you are installing on.
Third, don't bother downloading the packages like in the current
instructions - that caused me nothing but grief.  The easier way is to let
the Perl Package Manager get you the latest, correct version off the
Internet.  Here's how:

1.  Open a DOS (or "Command Prompt" on WinXP) prompt.  It's under Start|All
Programs|Accessories|Command Prompt.
2.  Type "ppm" and Enter.
3.  Your prompt should now be "ppm>".
4.  Type "install Net-Telnet" and Enter.  This will automatically go out on
the Internet and grab the latest version of the package and install it.
5.  Type "install TimeDate" and Enter.
6.  Type "install Time-HiRes" and Enter.
7.  Type "install DB_File" and Enter.
8.  Here's where my install might be slightly different than yours.  I am
using Perl 5.8.4.x.  In that version, "Data-Dumper" is built in and there is
no install for it.  I don't know about Perl 5.6.x.  You may want to just
type "install Data-Dumper" and see what happens.  If it finds a package and
installs it, great.  If it doesn't, don't worry about it and go on with your
installation.  Either way, email me at n9kt at arrl.net and let me know what it
did.
9.  At the "ppm>" prompt, type "quit" and Enter to exit the Perl Package
Manager.

Now, go on with the rest of the install.  Email the list if you have any
other problems.

-David, N9KT