[Dxspider-support] what am i missing ??

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 11:01:06 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 08:01 +0100, Kjell Jarl wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been using another SSID for portable/other qth.
> But, the SSID is not transfered or shown in spots (on some systems,
> including dxspider), thus it seems as I am still at home. This means
> that there is no way for users or programms to  tell which locator I am
> in, for example. It also seems I cannot enter the new locator under the
> new SSID and have it presented alongside the spot.

SSIDs have traditionally been stripped from callsigns for the purposes
of PC protocol. I can't, immediately, see an end to this practice.

There are several issues with AX25 that would also have to be resolved
including, but not limited to, the NET/ROM swapping of SSIDs. Whilst we
have radio connections, it would seem to be a problem.

Whatever happens: callsigns are fundamental to the internals of the
software and a seemingly small change has a disproportionately large
impact on the workings.

I will have a look and a play, but I would not hold your breath or nag
me 'cos whatever happens, if anything, will take a while.

Dirk G1TLH