[Dxspider-support] XP and big node tables

Darren G0TSM spider at g0tsm.com
Thu Jan 8 09:20:53 GMT 2004

Do any other Windows XP-Pro users get problems receiving big node tables?.
I'm running XP-Pro, 512Mb Ram, Athlon XP2700 CPU and a 40GB 7200rpm HDD.
Spider is:
DX Spider Cluster version 1.51 (build 57.261) on MSWin32
When IS0GRB-6 connects it sometimes sends 650+ nodes and 3000+ users.
Monitoring the console they come in like greased lightning!, but then the
machine stops (it's actually running very very slow). The incoming PC16s
etc start dribbling through and the CPU usage is stuck at 100%. This is a
dedicated cluster machine and the only other programs running are a small
web server, time client, sound manager and AGW.
Yesterday it took 7mins to receive the big node table and started throwing
off users as nothing was sent to them for the whole of the 7 minutes. When
the table is received the CPU resources drop to 0-1% and bam! off like the
clappers again. With this hardware I wouldn't have expected this to happen,
looks like there are some buffers somewhere being filled up but where do I
start (No I not switching to Linux :-) )
On the ADSL side it is a standard 512 downlink/256uplink on a static IP
address with Nildram as the ISP and the modem is a DLink 504 router.

73 Darren G0TSM

GB7EDX