[Dxspider-support] Error message

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 13:01:07 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 11:43, Steve IK4WMH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are running a dx spider cluster at IR4U-6.
>
> Since a few days we are getting the following message error:
>

> can't call method add_user on an unidentified value at
> /spider/perl/dxprot.pm line 794

I don't know what build you are using, please could you cut and paste
say 10 lines around line 794 of the version that you are using. It would
also be helpful to have say the last twenty lines of the debug before
the restart.

If it is the latest build, the most likely reason is a corrupted
userfile. This happens, very occasionally. To fix this you must:

1. stop the node completely (so, as root: edit /etc/inittab so that the
"respawn" is set to "off" (or just comment out the line) and then
'telinit q').
2. make sure you are logged in as the spider sysop user.
3. cd /spider/data
4. perl user_asc
5. as root: undo the changes made in step 1 and do another 'telinit q'

It should now come back up by itself.

If you are using windows, you just have to stop the node, do steps 2 and
3, then restart.

Dirk G1TLH