[Dxspider-support] Re: Keps update and 'run_cmd'

Dick zs6ro at telkomsa.net
Sat Aug 13 14:52:59 BST 2005

Dirk,

Yes, i realise that 'run_cmd' is not a DOS/Windows or a Linuc command <grin>
... I was fully expecting it to be at least say a Perl script but couldn't
find anything when searching for that filename ... then started to wonder,
like in DOS etc, if the command was an internal or external type command in
Spider ... (hey, i can confuse myself quite easily, all by myself <smile>)

Thomas and i have been conversing off-line (email) and things he suggested
unfortunately unable to 'solve' my problem ... BUT, I did find that this
morning (Saturday) that my keps were updated !! ... Yesterday (Friday) they
were 22 days old, today (Saturday) they were 1 day old !!! ... So somehow it
'appeared' to work .. on this coming Monday, which is the next 'crontab'
scheduled time, i will see if it updates again ...

What is puzzling me now since i found that the keps had updated is that when
i did all this 'manualy' (forcing the cron to run on the next minute by
changing the time in the relevant line), it did not update .. The only two
things i could get to work properly (or see that it had executed) was 'wget'
which created a file in the local directory and had the current keps ...
then i was able to use the cron line which executed 'convkeps.pl' correctly.
(As I said in an earlier message, i have 'wget' in my Linuc Cron with syntax
changes .. In 'crontab' i can't get it to work) ...

But nothing appeared to happen when i executed "08 06 * * 1,3,5
run_cmd('load/keps')"  ...

this was all on Thursday and Friday .. as I said earlier., Saturday morning
i was surpirsed to see the keps up to date ???

Relevant CRONTAB lines ...
# Convert keps every Mon, Wed and Fri at 06:07 and update DX-Cluster.
07 06 * * 1,3,5 spawn("/home/sysop/spider/perl/convkeps.pl -p amateur.txt")
08 06 * * 1,3,5 run_cmd('load/keps')
09 06 * * 1,3,5 spawn("rm /home/sysop/spider/local/amateur.txt")

I've used ' and  " and neither seemed to make a difference - i don't think
it would make  a difference in this arrangement ...

73, Dick ZS6RO
http://www.zs6ro.no-ip.org